Susan's Transplant Video is on You Tube

Susan Burroughs, the Founder of Cystic Fibrosis-Reaching Out Foundation has now put her transplant video on You Tube. To see the video please go to http://www.youtube.com/ and search "Susan Burroughs".

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Drew’s Views





My name is Drew and I’m 22 years old with cystic fibrosis. Although I have CF, CF doesn’t have me. If for some reason my picture is not self-explanatory, I am a girl with a boy’s name.
I was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis when I was two years old after my cousin, Bess, was born and diagnosed. My parents had taken me to doctors to try to figure out what was wrong, but the doctors said I would “grow out of it.” I’m still waiting…
Aside from having CF, I lead a relatively normal life. Like most people, I put hot sauce on everything, refuse to lick envelopes and set my alarm to wake up on a :22 or :44. This constitutes as normal, right?!
Growing up, I was very involved in soccer, swimming and dance. I was a very active child and this has greatly contributed to my good health. My parents never acted as though I was any different than my brother and sister (who don’t have CF). I have never felt like CF has made me less capable than anyone else.
I attended Georgia State University in Atlanta on an academic scholarship. I had two majors – Speech/Communications and Journalism – and graduated with a 4.0 GPA. If anybody was wondering, yes, I am patting myself on the back right now. J I have been working in Marketing for over two years.
In my (limited) free time, I like to go to the gym, go to Braves games and go out with friends. I also enjoy writing, reading, doing puzzles and participating in other nerd-like activities.
Back to life with CF…From 1996 to 2002, I attended a week-long summer camp for people with cystic fibrosis. That’s where I met some of the best people I have ever known. The CF community shares an incredible bond that cannot be understood by many. Although life with CF has had its ups and downs, I am happy to be part of such an amazing network of people.
By writing for the Reaching Out Foundation, I hope that I can inspire someone, somewhere. While I can ramble on and on about topics that interest me, I’m extremely open to questions or suggestions. If you have any ideas, email me at
drewdotson@gmail.com
ated

No comments: